01 October 2009

Battles #1

Bright and burning in my pumping veins
the lonely morning before you rise
spent dreaming others' perfect names

darling, there's only you
can lip me from this edge
one memory left to toss

so I think real hard about
the time at that old house
heard teens coo 100 miles out
breaking bottles with their shoes

you always knew what to do

you touched me
you coughed
eyes cast out toward the bridge
not quite ready to push off

at the tree we both might have lost our kiss
caught beside the harbor's sinking ships
you fading like a sad ghost at my fingertips
me, I was a lost child only waiting for a gift

now it's morning and I feel stronger
think I'll stay inside a little longer

wear that silver chain you gave me loose around my neck
the cool quick medal swings across my chest

its you, only you, and you're about to come home
pearl morning light, my lips cotton to your cheek bone.

No comments: